One of my first articles on this site, nearly a year ago, was a team-by-team evaluation of the 2018 NFL Draft. This year, my article comes in minutes before the first round. We’ve waited months to see if Kyler Murray can defy the odds to go first or if defense will dominate this draft. I say yes to both. The wait ends at 8 p.m. EST.
Before I release my final mock draft 4.0, here are a few predictions:
- For the fourth straight year, there will be at least FIVE trades on the first night of the draft. In 2016, there were five. In 2017 there were seven. Last year featured six. The trend continues. That said, I don’t predict trades – *cough, cough* expect the Redskins to move up – just picks.
- Despite the rumors, the Jets keep their third pick and strike gold tonight.
- The Giants will be draft night winners IF…they either take Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins sixth and a stud defender like Mississippi State DE Montez Sweat 17th OR if they somehow land Kentucky OLB Josh Allen or LSU ILB Devin White sixth, go either D-Line or O-Line 17th and trade their second-round pick to Arizona for Josh Rosen.
- Finally, over half of the players taken tonight will be on the defensive side of the ball.
Now let’s go…
1) Arizona Cardinals – Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma – This pick is essentially a lock right now. Murray’s a game changer who throws a lot better than his haters want to give him credit for. He doesn’t have the same size but can change the game similarly to how 2015 MVP Cam Newton did.